Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Just Words?

As I was doing my devotions this week a very powerful thought hit me from I Thessalonians 1:5
"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake."

When we present our field, is it in word only? I fear after all the churches we visit, presentations we give and statistics we share that it turns into a "word only" presentation. May we ask God for His power. May the words we speak be as a hammer breaking through stone. May it grab the attention of the most disinterested person. May it be in the Holy Ghost. Not a bunch of rehearsed flesh but fresh from the Holy Spirit of God. May in be in much assurance. Spoken with a depth and level of conviction that they have never seen before.

I heard a story years ago about two men leaving a meeting in England. As they left one asked the other what he thought. The response given is quite powerful. The man replied, "I have heard better preachers but I have never heard a preacher better." As you prepare to present your burden and preach, may it be more than idle words. May it be delivered in power, the Holy Ghost and much assurance!

1 comment:

Trent Cornwell said...

Thank you Bro. Tony for the powerful devotional thoughts you post on this wonderful blog. We can sharpen our ax all day, however, if their is no power behind our swing then we will be quite ineffective. Great post!