Thursday, October 4, 2007

To Play or Not To Play?

I received the following question and wanted to share it with you. I have replaced the name.

You encourage us to spend time with the pastor as in go eat with them, or fellowship after service. My question is, what about sports? I was recently at a church that plays volleyball after Sunday night service. Yes they asked me to come play. I to, as you are, am very competitive. Is it wrong to stuff the preacher's wife at the net? I'm still playing to win. Jokes were made about not getting support now, but all in all I think it went well. Different pastor at a different Church, probably not so well. This did make me think. Do we play games after service? And if so what are the limits? You know how hard it is to tone down the desire to win, right? Thanks for all the help. God Bless you and your family.

I do encourage you to fellowship and be around the people as much as possible. This will help them to get to know you better. The competitive thing is not about support, but character. We want to be very gracious showing temperance. I stepped away from a lot of sports from a lack of self control in wanting to win. Losing bothered me too much. In my life, it was a reflection on me. Key word, me. When I died to my pride, I became more at ease with myself. When that happened other people became more at ease with me during sporting activities. Recently I was in Mississippi preaching a Missions Conference. One night after the service, they had a softball game and I played in it. It was the first time I played in years. What did I do? I popped up! I laughed, they laughed, we had fun. I still try hard!

This is just me. You may not have the same inward battles and insecurities. Have fun when you are around others. Play with temperance,grace and sportsmanship. Do not dominate the ladies, especially if she is the pastor's wife! Sometimes I let people win. It removes me from being a threat to them and as a missionary there are many things I want to be but a threat is not one of them. Jesus humbled himself and there are times we must do the same. Do not know if this will help. If you want to discuss this more, just email me at howeth@mwbm.org
Have a great day.

No comments: