Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Swift to Hear

In my Bible reading this week, I came through the book of James. In chapter one verse nineteen, James tells us to be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

When you are around a conversation are you o.k. with just sitting there listening? Do you feel an incredible urge to jump in and say something? Does your mind race around looking for just the right thing? Do you have to dominate the conversation?

A mistake that I see missionaries make, and I am sure I have done it as well, is to open their mouth when they should have just opened their ears. When you sit down with a pastor, be comfortable. Make a covenant to God that you will work on your listening skills. Hear what he is saying and then, if need be, respond accordingly. Do not let insecurity dominate your life and make it where you are a loud, dominating conversationalist.

The Bible teaches that even a fool is counted wise when he learns to keep his mouth closed. I praise God that there is hope for guys like me! Today may I be swift to hear, not speak. This Bible principle will help you as you seek to raise your support to get to the field. Learn to listen.

No comments: